I don’t know what I was thinking… it has been an exciting idea in the back of my mind to create my own handwritten type for several quarters now, but for some reason I got it in my head to go a different way and do something totally different. The first several weeks of this quarter were so overwhelming in the amount of work assigned, that I think I was concerned that I could not give it the attention I wanted to give it, so I chose to challenge my Photoshop skills. However, one day I will design my own handwritten type because I really want to.
So… I chose to use “found items” and have rediscovered a love of miniature marshmallows, which are now on my snack list.
The process turned out to be laborious so creating my own font would have been much easier and the lighting on a few of the letters could not be corrected. Since they all had the same light source, I am not sure exactly what happened with those.
- Photograph each individual letter on a black background using specific rules that I set up for width/height etc.
- Get into a mini marshmallow war with the roomies to reduce the tediousness of arranging little spongy things in a straight line
- Pull image into Photoshop, remove background, adjust lighting, as well as smooth out the edges of each marshmallow!
- Eat a few marshmallows to reduce stress
- Place them in a grid in alpha order in Illustrator
- Toss a few marshmallows to the dogs to reduce stress
- Create a background that looks like hot chocolate
- Voila – print, mount, done! (Eat a few more marshmallows to celebrate.)