The Portfolio Prep class is my most active, yet the things that I am doing are not “beautiful”. This quarter Zeb Wood was teaching it for the first time to his group of animation students. I asked to be in his class because I suspected he was going to be good (he is a founder of Indiana Uploaded.) I am not disappointed!!! He has me working my tail off, but with my consent and cooperation.
Zeb works with the individual students to set their personal goals for the class. My plan took a two pronged approach:
- Prep for graduate school
- Portfolio/resume preparation
The list of things to accomplish in 11 weeks is daunting, but I set up a Work Breakdown Structure and am plowing through it. Here is a visual… there are even more items to accomplish after the quarter is over, including designing and setting up a web site. Aiy aiy aiy!
So far, as of mid-quarter I have accomplished the following and more:
- Identified schools/programs I am planning to apply to and started the process of collecting information (letters of recommendation etc.) for applications.
- Written a 6 pg CV (long version of my resume) as well as a cleaned up short resume.
- Named my business, designed a business card to be sent to the printer this week, and purchased the domain name and hosting from godaddy.com.
- Put together a rough and ready version of my portfolio.
AND, job opportunities began popping up this past week (thus the need for a rough and ready version of my portfolio.) My internship will be ending and I would like to try my hand at something else, so it is fun to have the energy flowing before I am even ready!