Packaging Final

The packaging class ended with an excruciating fizzle… I pinched a nerve in my back so I could not sit during finals week! I missed my last day in a business class and 3 days of work. I hate it when that happens and it happens when I sit for 18 hours a day working on the computer in bad chairs.

So, while I could not finish it the way I was hoping, I did complete a package… barely. It was a toss up as to whether I just take the hit and get a C or actually push to at least get a B. I literally cried all the way through this one. When I was ready to quit, my roomies kept encouraging me.

This is a class that with enough time, I would have easily gotten an A because the teacher allowed us to redo our work after we received feedback. However, that week I was barely able to get my first drafts turned in. Very, very painful. Four weeks later and I am finally feeling fine, although I am still being very careful not to do anything to aggravate it. 2 weeks of daily chiropractor visits and then 3 days a week, and now 2 days a week.

At this point in time, I am still not sure if it was worth it for this particular class. One thing I have learned, these past 3 years, is what it means to push myself beyond what I thought  I was physically and mentally capable of accomplishing. Amazing how I have overcome stressors that before I never thought possible.

Part of the requirements on this were the handle and the die cut. I disliked the distinct color change between the computer color and the actual printout on the final, which was more orange, but I gave that detail up in the interest of being able to present a finished piece. Normally I would have tweaked and reprinted until this was perfect with my vision.

That is another skill I have learned – how and when to make the proper compromises, what to fight for and what to let go of.

Here are the final results for Packaging:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Packaging Product Labels

Moving along with my product, High Tea, the next phase was to create labels and photograph the containers.

Instructions were to use clear glass containers with the product visible and a die cut of some sort. I chose to use our Penzey’s spice containers and package this as a gift set for high end loose leaf tea. I never did get around to dumping out the spices and filling it with the loose leaf tea. Oh well.

With more time, I feel I could have really done something with these (i.e. they have potential.) Feedback was to extend the labels further around, lose the die cut on such a small item or die cut around the logo, and to darken the name of the tea. Otherwise the teacher felt they were a strong design.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Packaging – Tea Research and Logo

For the final in our Packaging class we were to choose a product and create a brand and packaging around it.

I was so crazy busy that I could not throw myself into it as I wished. My product choice was more a decision of what I had available for all the work it was going to encompass in the coming weeks. This particular class had a weekly final due date that landed on Tues., which was the same as my Illustration class that went 6-10 (after work), so I was late every week on the 4th deliverable. Very frustrating.

I chose to go with tea (because I have about 50+ different types of tea.) With all the research and photography we had to do of products, I knew I could not get to a store. This worked perfect.

First step was to perform research and document the findings. Thankfully, unlike most ground classes, we created a book, but did not have to print it due to the fast pace of the class.

Note: all but 3 photos are my own.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The logo was based off of an idea for English tea and leaning on the concepts of history, longevity, and class. Research showed that tea is rich in history and wealth. Wars were fought over it (our own rebellion during the Boston Tea Party is only one instance.) In England, high tea is actually a meal and not confined to the upper class, but I liked the sound of it and went with it. In this case, my main priority was to get the project completed. We were doing each phase in the matter of hours (usually it was due the night I was working on it.) I really was not focused on this project.

Coconut Palm Sugar

The funny thing is, I love to look at the packaging designs I see everywhere. It is fascinating to see beautifully rendered package solutions. However, I have discovered that I do not find it at all interesting to try to solve that problem by myself. Working on a team, I think it could be fun, but alone, nope. Not my thing.

But I did it for the class.

Flat version of the label

The assignment was to create a continuous design on a cylinder for a fictitious product. I chose coconut palm sugar. In this short, but fast paced class, I did not have the time to hand paint it, which is what I really wanted to do. We also had to create a solution in very short order. I have never worked so fast in my life. Which is not my style.

Packaging: Heath Bar

Our first “warm up” project in Packaging Design was to rework a candy bar (in 1 afternoon!) I chose the Heath bar and went with the concept of an old English Inn sign and a desaturated English countryside picture (because it is English Toffee.) I chose to wrap the design around the 3D aspect of this bar… the image below would be how it would look if you took it off the bar and laid it flat.

This was excruciatingly tedious, but I like the outcome!

Here is the general look of the front when it is wrapped: